Award of Distinction to Masons

At The Greater Litchfield Preservation Trust’s annual meeting on December 1st an “Award of Distinction” was presented to St. Paul’s Masonic Lodge for the restoration work they have undertaken to preserve this historic local landmark. “The building was originally built in 1835 by the Litchfield Methodist Episcopal Church.  In 1885 the building was sold to the Masons when […]

Historical Building Survey

The Trust has received an award of a Survey Grant from the State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) for the purpose of documenting 200 historic buildings, 50 years old or more, in the northeast quadrant of the Town of Litchfield.  The survey area encompasses all structures beginning with the Chestnut Hills and Fern Avenue north to the Torrington line, […]

Former Litchfield Jail Sold

The former Litchfield County Jail has been acquired by Russell Barton.  The Jail has long been of interest to the Trust since it holds a key position in the center of town as it has since 1812.  The Trust funded a Jail Renovation – Uses Study to help potential purchasers understand the possibilities for the […]

Post Office Wall Repaired

  The 1895 Beckwith building on South Street, which houses the Litchfield Post office, is owned in a limited partnership by the GLPT and other investors.  The north side of the building was covered with brick patterned metal siding that had been patched over the years and was in need of repair/replacement.  It was believed […]

Harwinton House

Harwinton House Sign Temporarily in Storage  You may have noticed that the thermometer monitoring fund-raising for the Harwinton House project has been removed from the bottom of Bentley Drive. The sign is in storage while grant money and new fund-raising efforts are pursued. Harwinton House was built in Harwinton in 1795 by Loyalist Stephen Graves. […]

Perley Grimes Recognized

At the Annual Meeting of the Trust, past President Perley Grimes was recognized  by the Trust with gratitude for his years of devotion to its goals and his uninterrupted service as a Board member and Officer.

In Memory of Ellen R. Keeny

In cooperation with Oliver Wolcott Library, a lecture was sponsored in memory of GLPT past President, Ellen R. Keeny.  “The Color of Change: Paint and Pattern in Litchfield History” was presented by Rachel Carley.  The lecture combined Ellen’s love of the Trust and of color.

Beauregard Addition Recognized

At the Annual Meeting of the Trust, David and Deborah Beauregard, 272 South Street were recognized for their architecturally appropriate addition to an historic home.

Bosson Optical in Talbot’s Space

Bosson Optical, a long-time business in town, has moved and is now occupying the eastern side of the ground floor space in the Agricultural Building that was formerly occupied by Talbot’s.

Jail Renovation – Uses Study

The complete Study is now available for download here: Download Complete Jail Renovation Study (large file-please be patient)