Early in 2013, the Trust became aware of the Town of Harwinton’s efforts to relocate and reconstruct an historic 1795 farmhouse dismantled and removed to New Canaan, CT in the 1930’s. Through the preservation efforts of individuals in both towns, the house was rescued from demolition, dismantled and returned to Harwinton. A small cities grant provided the funding for this first phase of the project.
The GLPT met with members of the Harwinton House Building Committee and the Harwinton Historical Society, suggesting they apply to the CT Trust for a Technical Assistance Grant. The grant requires matching funds which the GLPT offered to provide, permitting the town of Harwinton to save the remainder of the small cities grant for the construction phase of the project. The grant’s purpose is to outline plans for the siting of the structure and establish an interior layout based on the town and Historical Society’s use of the building. A grant request of $21,800 was submitted and awarded with the GLPT and the CT Trust each funding 50%. The firm of Amaya Architects, Orange, CT were hired and the project is in process.
With site plan approval in hand from the land use boards, the consulting firm of Amaya is ready to provide a complete site layout for the house, septic and parking. With the cost of “shell only” construction estimated, the Committee is working with First Selectman Michael Criss to seek additional grant funds as well as donated services to keep the project moving forward.